Sunday, July 20, 2008

Steve's Pizzeria

It has been about 16 months since I took that first leap of faith towards a healthier me. I have to admit that it has not been an easy road nor is my journey anywhere near to being done. Along my way I have been to many wonderful eateries and have met great people. It never stops catching me by surprise when the ordinary every day guy is helpful to me and my journey. I want to tell you about one of my favorite places to eat. I was unsure that I would ever be able to walk into a pizza place and order something that was good for me and filling.

In my journey I have been fortunate enough to find four great local pizza shops. Yes, I said four. In no particular order they are : Burncoat Pizza, Papa George's Pizza, Paradise Pizza and Steve's Pizzeria. I love each of these local spots for very different reasons.

Steve's is located at 337 West Boylston Street. In lovely West Boylston. This pizza shop is run by a bunch of truly madcap guys. I think a few females work the counter but I usually see the same guys on Friday nights. At Steve's you can get assorted grinders, fish and chips and other pizza shop fare. What they don't tell is is just how LARGE the large grinders are or did you know that they have beer on tap if you are old enough with ID ? I love this place. It has a small town feel to it. It reminds me of my hometown pizza place, except this place it so much better.
On my weight loss journey I have had to learn to ask for what I want. At Steve's after some trial and error (on my part not theirs) I found their house salad. Steve's has a wonderful house salad. Plenty of stuff in the lettuce not just lettuce. Pepperonchinis, olives, bell peppers, cuke slices, tomatoes, onion and a house dressing that I have to admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE. So much so I don't care what is in it. I top off this perfect creation with grilled chicken. The salad comes with a half pita that is fresh and soft and makes me want to buy stock in its bakery. Hubby loves the grinders...steak and cheese, chicken salad, Italian, chicken cutlet. Hubby thinks you should know that your are lucky indeed if you order fries as they come both regular and slightly spicy, depending on what they have on hand.

I'll have to take his word on this as I don't eat fries anymore as they can not be trusted not to settle on my hips and make me fluffy. Steve's is our Friday night. I find if we don't go my weekend feels off from norm. Stop in some time I promise you won't be disappointed. I have been able to manage my WW program quite nicely with a little help from my friends at Steve's. Thanks guys.

No comments:

The mad chronicling of a Large Marge on a journey to find the girl she used to be.