Monday, March 31, 2008

Where Everybody Knows Our Name

Shrek and I live in Worcester, Massachusetts. We have an assortment of restaurants just like most other cities. What makes a restaurant a favorite stopping place? The neighborhood place to go, the watering hole of choice? I can't answer for everyone else only myself. It is many factors. Quality and variety along with quantity of dish offered and decent prices make my top ten. Most importantly though is what I call the "it" factor. Most places Shrek and I go just don't have their finger on "it". The thing that makes their place The Place. The "it" is involvement with your clientele. Be in touch with what they need and want, success will follow. Joey's Bar and Grill located at 242 Mill Street in Worcester has "it". Everybody at Joey's knows our names. From the night hostess to the kitchen staff and waitresses.

Shrek and I frequent Joey's every week. Thursday nights to be exact. Our seating of choice; the bar. A favorite of mine to chat with the bar keep and watch the assortment of folks enter in search of a good nosh and some atmosphere. On Thursdays our bartender is Erika. She always greets Shrek and me by name and learned our bar orders by our second visit. She is very pleasant and an easy conversationalist.

I started my weight loss journey with the idea that I would have to give up things in order to achieve my goals. I was positive going out to restaurants was one of those things I would have to learn to live without. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. Could I order a salad with my meal instead of fries? Would it be okay to order the Joey's favorite salad with romaine lettuce instead of iceberg? Would it be possible to have honey mustard instead of mayo on my grilled chicken sandwich? I asked fully expecting to be told no. Sure thing was the first response with a smile. I asked for and got what I wanted. How cool. A restaurant willing to go the extra mile to make me a return customer. I have been returning ever since.

I look forward to going out to eat at Joey's every week. I feel that Joey's helps me to stay focused and on track. I have learned to have ordering confidence here, to be comfortable with asking if I can make a substitution because I need a healthier choice. Thank you for making me feel like I am your first priority.

No comments:

The mad chronicling of a Large Marge on a journey to find the girl she used to be.